How To Make Uttapam
Uttapam or Uttappa or Oothappam, is a healthy breakfast of South India with slightly thicker DOSA BATTER, rice and urad dal batter. However, dosa is a very thin food, on the contrary, uttapam is thick and garnish by topping it with vegetables like tomatoes, onions, green chilies, capsicum, carrots, sweet corn etc. Vegetables make uttapam even more delicious and healthy. Like idli or dosa batter, rice and urad dal batter for uttapam is also prepared in advance and stored for days and is used to make delicious uttapam easily and in just 20 minutes for a delicious breakfast. This detailed uttapam recipe explains in detail about the cooking process. You can make delicious uttapam at home with your favorite vegetables. You can also make uttapam like pizza by garnishing it with vegetables and grated mozzarella cheese.
Uttapam is a popular South Indian dish that is similar to a thick dosa or a savory pancake. It is made by mixing batter of fermented rice and urad dal with finely chopped onions, tomatoes, green chillies and coriander leaves. Then this mixed batter is poured on a hot griddle and baked till it becomes crispy and golden brown from both the sides.
Uttapam is usually serve with coconut chutney or sambar. It is a nutritious and healthy dish and is rich in carbohydrates and proteins. Fermentation not only enhances the flavor of the dish but also makes the dish easy to digest. Uttapam can be made with a variety of toppings such as grated cheese, paneer, mushrooms and capsicum, making it a versatile dish that can be enjoyed in a variety of ways.
- Preparation Time :
- 10 Minutes
- Cooking Time :
- 20 Minutes
- Meal Type :
- 2 Reviews | 38 Likes
|Dosa Batter||2 Cups||Tomato Finely Chopped||1 large|
|Onion Finely Chopped||1 medium||Capsicum Finely Chopped||1/2 Cup|
|Green Chilli Finely Chopped||3 - 4||Coriander Leaves Chopped||1/2 Cup|
|Ghee or Oil||For Shallow Fry||Salt||1/2 Teaspoon or As Per Taste|
Direction To Make
- Prepare the batter for uttapam by the procedure described in the dosa recipe, but make the batter is slightly thicker than the dosa batter. Add salt and mix well to the batter as per taste.
- Heat a normal cast iron griddle (tawa), dosa tava or a non-stick tava over medium heat. We recommend use a non-stick tava to prevent the uttapam sticking on tava. Pour a few drops of ghee or oil over the tava and spread it. When the tava gets hot, pour a ladle-full batter over it and spread the batter by turning the back of ladle in a clockwise direction over the batter.
- Mix all the chopped vegetables like onion, tomato, capsicum and green chilli, coriander leaves in a bowl.
- Spread mix chopped vegetables on top of it and press it slightly using a spatula.
- Pour 1 teaspoon of ghee on the edges of uttapam. Cook it for about 2-3 minutes, if you like the thicker base then you should cover it with a lid while cooking or the thicker base needs more time to cook.
- Flip the uttapam to cook from the other side. Flip over and cook until both sides are well cooked.
- Cook the remaining batter like wise. Uttapam is ready to be served. Serve hot uttapam with coconut chutney.
To get the video for the recipe: CLICK HERE
- Share Recipe With Your Friend
- 5 : 24 : 03 : 02 : 01 : 0User ReviewsPawan Batra
Delicious uttapamLeander Fernandes
Suji UpmaUpma made from rava, suji or semolina is a very popular, delicious and healthy dish, and it is a great choice for breakfast. First roast the suji then cooked with some fried vegetables of your choice,...
TofuTofu, also called bean curd or soy paneer, is a vegetarian food, which is made by coagulating and pressing soy milk resulting makes tofu. Bean Curd, Soy Paneer or Tofu has a good taste, it can be used...
Kashmiri Dum AlooKashmiri Dum Aloo is a delicious dish from a beautiful place Jammu and Kashmir and one of the most popular curry dish in North India. To make the delicious dish "Kashmiri Dum Aloo", first deep fry the...
Plum JamIf you like eating plum fruit and fruit jam then you will love this delicious sweet and sour plum jam, especially when you have made this delicious jam at home. Homemade jam is very easy to make jam a...
Red Sauce PastaRed Sauce Pasta is a Delicious and healthy kids-loving pasta that can be easily made after school snacks or at dinner. Red sauce pasta is a delicious dish made from pasta, tomatoes, onions, garlic and...