How To Make Suji Upma
Suji Upma Recipe
Suji (semolina) upma is a popular South Indian dish made with suji or semolina, vegetables and spices. This is delicious and healthy and is preferred as a morning breakfast, a great option for those who are looking for a gluten-free diet. It does not take long to make upma and can be done in 20 - 25 minutes. Follow this easy recipe and make delicious suji upma at your home.
To make suji upma, first roast the semolina in a dry pan till it turns light brown and start giving an aromatic aroma. Heat some oil in a pan and add mustard seeds, urad dal and chana dal. When the mustard starts crackling, add chopped onions, green chillies and ginger and fry till the onions become soft and transparent.
Add some chopped vegetables like carrots, peas and potatoes and fry for a minute. Add water and salt and let it boil. When the water starts boiling, turn heat to low and add the roasted suji stirring continuously so that there are no lumps. Cover the pan and let it cook for 5-7 minutes till the suji is cooked well and absorbs all the water. Add some ghee or oil and mix well. Decorate with fried cashew nuts.
Suji Upma is a nutritious and healthy dish. Semolina is rich in carbohydrates and provides energy to the body. It is also rich in iron, magnesium and several essential vitamins and minerals. Vegetables such as carrots, peas and potatoes provide fiber and essential vitamins and minerals. Try classic South Indian dish Suji Upma with our recipe.
- Preparation Time :
- 10 Minutes
- Cooking Time :
- 25 Minutes
- Meal Type :
- 1 Review | 38 Likes
suji upma Ingredients
|1 - 2 Twigs
|Onion (Finely Chopped)
|Ginger Finely Grated
|2 Finely Chopped
|Carrot Finely Sliced
|Capsicum Finely Chopped
|Tomato Finely Chopped
|Fried Cashew Nut
|8 - 10 Pc Chopped
|Corriander Leaves Finely Chopped
|1/4 Teaspoon Or As Per Taste
|Red Chilli Powder
|1/4 Teaspoon Or As Per Taste
|Ghee Or Oil
|3 - 4 Tablespoon
|1 3/4 Cup
Direction To Make
- Heat 2 tablespoon of ghee in a wok or heavy base pan on medium heat.
- When the ghee melts, add Suji (semolina) and fry it on a low flame while stirring continuously. Fry it for about 4-5 minutes or until the suji turns golden brown (the time depends on the thickness of the pan).
- Take out the suji in a plate and keep it aside.
- Heat 2 tablespoons again in a pan. When the ghee becomes hot, add asafetida (asafoetida), curry leaves, finely chopped onions, green chillies and ginger. Fry it for about 2-3 minutes or till the onion becomes translucent.
- Add all the vegetables (finely chopped carrots, peas, capsicum and tomatoes), salt, chaat masala and red chilli powder to it and fry it again for about 2-3 minutes.
- Add water and allow the mixture to boil. When the water starts boiling, add roasted suji and mix well. Stir continuously for 1 minute to avoid lumps.
- Cover the pan and cook the upma on low heat for about 3-4 minutes until the mixture thickens.
- Turn off the heat, remove the cover and allow the upma to set for 10 minutes. Add fried cashew nuts and coriander leaves and mix well.
- Delicious upma is ready to be served. Enjoy this delicious and healthy upma at your breakfast.
- Share Recipe With Your Friend
- 5 : 04 : 13 : 02 : 01 : 0User ReviewsPawan Batra
Delicious suji upma
TofuTofu, also called bean curd or soy paneer, is a vegetarian food, which is made by coagulating and pressing soy milk resulting makes tofu. Bean Curd, Soy Paneer or Tofu has a good taste, it can be used...
Paneer LababdarPaneer Lababdar is a delicious Paneer dish from North India. Recipe of Paneer Lababdar in Restaurant Style. Paneer Lababdar is very famous in North Indian hotels and restaurants. While this dish is as...
Paneer TikkaPaneer tikka is very famous and most demanding starter in restaurants made of paneer. There are many types of paneer tikkas that have different tastes and cooking methods. The most common and method a...
SamosaSamosa is made from refined flour. The samosa shell has some filling ingredients, usually mashed boiled potatoes, cheese, finely chopped onions, green peas, green chilies, or a mixture of lentils with...
Sweet Potato SandwichSweet potato is a starchy root sweet vegetable, which is grown worldwide. Sweet potato is delicious, healthy and rich in antioxidants, minerals, vitamins and fiber. Usually sandwiches are made with a...