How To Make Roti Phulka or Chapati
Recipe of soft Roti
Roti or Indian bread is a round shaped flat un-fermented bread made on a daily basis across India. This is served with sabzi (a dry vegetable) or lentils (dal) or with both at home with lunch and dinner daily. It can be served also with any special dish like Paneer Makhani, Kadai Paneer, Dum Aloo or even non-veg dishes like Butter Chicken, Mutton Korma etc. Simple roti is made with whole wheat flour, you can add ghee or milk while kneading the dough to make the roti more soft. Roti, phulka or chapati are the same thing with different names in different regions of India are made with different thickness according to different culture and choice of different regions of India. The main part of the soft roti recipe is the kneading of the dough for the roti. We are sharing here detailed roti recipe that involves kneading the dough to make a soft and delicious roti.
- Preparation Time :
- 15 Minutes
- Cooking Time :
- 30 Minutes
- Meal Type :
- 1 Review | 1 Like
|Wheat Flour (Aata)||3 Cup + For Dusting||Water||As Required|
|Ghee (Optional)||1 Tablespoon||Milk (Optional)||1/2 Cup|
Note : Use either milk or ghee to make the it more soft. There is no need to use both simultaneously.
Direction To Make
- Take a big platter. Sieve 3 cups of wheat flour in it.
- Gradually add some water and mix well. If you want to add milk or ghee, you can add it at this stage and mix well.
- Add some more water and start kneading the dough. Add water little by little as needed and knead the dough. If you add a lot of water together, the dough will be difficult to knead as it will be very sticky. Use your fist while kneading the dough. The dough should not be too hard nor soft otherwise the roti will be difficult to roll.
- Finally, when you do not have dry flour in the platter, you have to apply some more pressure with your fist to make the dough perfect and soft.
- In the end you will get the dough that is not too soft or hard. You can make roti from it now but if you wait for some time it will give you good results. Apply some ghee on the surface of the dough, cover it with a plate or cloth and keep aside for about 20 minutes. Before you start making roti, knead the dough once again.
- Turn on the gas and place a tawa (griddle) over it to preheat over medium heat.
- Now take a small portion of the dough and place it in between your palms and make medium sized balls from the dough. Push the ball with your palm to flat it. Pour that flat dough from both sides into the dry flour to coat the dry flour over it.
- While the tawa is heating. Take a rolling board and rolling pin and sprinkle some dry flour on the rolling board. Place the flat ball on top of the dry dough on a rolling board. Start rolling the dough using a rolling pin and make flat round circles of about 6 - 7 Inch. Making a circle is not so easy and it requires practice.
- If the dough is sticky, then put that round flour in dry flour and cover it with some dry flour on both side. flip the circle and roll again in circular motion. Make sure that the roti should not be too thick as thick roti will take a lot of time to cook as well as digest.
- Sprinkle some dry flour on the tawa. If the flour turns brown then the tawa is ready to cook. Put raw roti over the hot tawa.
- Cook it slightly from one side and flip it to cook from the other side. Cook a little until some brown spots appear on both sides.
- The roti is ready to cook on direct flame.
- Hold the half-cooked roti with a tongs and cook on direct flame from the first cooked side.
- When it starts puff, flip it to cook on the other side on direct flame. This will be more puffed. Do not over-cook it otherwise it will burn.
- Remove it from the flame and transfer it to a plate and apply some ghee on top of it.
- Roti is ready. Similarly, cook all the rotis. Serve hot with vegetables, dal or any paneer dishes.
- Share Recipe With Your Friend
- 5 : 14 : 03 : 02 : 01 : 0User ReviewsPawan Batra
Aloo TikkiAloo Tikki is a crispy, delicious and popular street food in India made from boiled potatoes and some Indian spices. Indian Aloo Tikki is so crunchy, tasty and delicious because a good amount of are...
Bread RollBread roll is not only delicious, but is a very popular Indian snack, it is very easy to make crispy and tasty snack, when you have already boiled potatoes then this delicious snacks can be prepared a...
Veg Seekh KababSeekh kebabs are generally known for a non-veg dish made with minced chicken or mutton and cooked in a tandoor. The vegetarian kebab is also a healthy and delicious dish. There are many varieties of a...
Moong Rice KhichdiDelicious rice and whole moong (whole green gram) khichdi is a healthy and light food that is cooked in a pressure cooker or rice cooker. If you like to eat something healthy and light in your lunch a...
Delicious Poha RecipePoha is known in English as flattened rice or beaten rice. These are flat dried rice flakes. Poha is a traditional and most common breakfast in India. Nutritious Delicious Poha dish is famous in many...