Dosa - is a thin and crispy South Indian delicious and healthy dish made of rice and urad ki dhuli dal (black lentil without husk), which is usually served with vegetable sambar and coconut chutney. This popular & healthy dish is not just only easy to prepare, but also healthy. A well-prepared batter for dosa is the main key for the better taste of crispy and tasty dosa. Dosa batter is very easy to prepare - first the rice and lentils are grinded separately to make a smooth batter and then it is mixed and the mixture is allowed to whisk overnight. This easy and detailed recipe of plain dosa or paper dosa from scratch teaches you how to cook plain dosa at home.
- Preparation Time :
- 14 Hour
- Cooking Time :
- 30 Minutes
- Meal Type :
Appetizers and Snack,
|Parboiled Rice (Idli Dosa Rice)||3/4 Cup||Regular Rice||3/4 Cup|
|Black Split Lentils without husk (Urad dhuli Dal)||1/2 Cup||Fenugreek Seeds (methi dana)||1/4 Teaspoon|
|Gram Lentils (Channa Dal)||1/2 Tablespoon||Salt||1/4 Teaspoon Or As Per Taste|
|Ghee Or Oil||For Shallow Fry||Water||As Required|
Prepare Dosa Batter
- Soak both rice (regular rice and regular rice) together for about 3 - 4 hours in 2 - 3 cups of water. Then rub the rice between your palm to wash the rice and drain the water completely. Rub and wash the rice 2-3 times and drain water completely.
- Soak both the lentils (urad dal and chana dal) and fenugreak seeds in 1 cup of water after mixing them for about 4-5 hours. Drain all the water completely.
- Pour both the soaked lentils and fenugreek seeds into the grinder and grind to make a smooth and fluffy mixture. Add some water if necessary. Do not add too much water because excess water can make the batter too watery. Transfer the smooth batter of lentils to a bowl.
- Similarly, grind both the rice together and make a smooth solution. Add some water if necessary. Rice solution is not as smooth as lentils, it is slightly grainy.
- Transfer the rice batter to the same bowl that contains the lentils batter.
- Add salt to the batter and mix well. You can use an electric beater to mix them well. Dosa batter should not be too thick nor too much watery. If you find that the batter is too thick, add 1 - 2 tablespoon of water.
- Cover the bowl with a lid and leave it to fermentation in a warm place overnight or for about 12 hours.
- The amount of batter will increase during fermentation. Some bubbles are on the surface when you shake it with a spoon. If you find the batter too thick, add a few tablespoons of water to it, and mix well until the batter is smooth.
- Heat the non-stick tawa (griddle) or dosa tawa on medium heat. When the tawa is hot enough, sprinkle few water over it with your hand and wipe it with clean & wet cloth. Spraying the water on tawa prevents your dosa from sticking to the surface of the dosa tawa. Pour 1/2 teaspoon of ghee or oil over the dosa tawa.
- Take a ladleful batter and put it in the center of the dosa tava, spread the batter in a thin layer by turning the ladle back clockwise over the batter and make a circle of about 8 inches in diameter.
- Apply ghee on the dosa using a brush over the tawa. Cook it for about 2 minutes or until it becomes light brown and edges begin to rise from the tawa.
- To make the roll, gently fold the crispy dosa from one edge. Transfer the crispy dosa to the plate.
- Crispy and delicious plain dosa is ready to be served. Serve delicious and healthy dosa with sambar and coconut chutney.
- Likewise make all the dosas.
- Share Recipe With Your Friend
- 5 : 14 : 03 : 02 : 01 : 0
Eggless OmeletteVegetarian omelette or eggless omelette is a delicious omelette and the best alternative of egg omelette. As the eggless omelette is named, it is does not use eggs and made from gram flour (besan) and...
Eggless OmeletteEggless omelette or vegetarian omelette is easy to make and a delicious vegetarian alternative to egg omelette, vegetarian omelette made with gram flour (besan) and refined flour (maida). Eggless is a...
Paneer Cutletpaneer cutlets are the amazing combination of easiest, delicious and healthy snacks. Paneer cutlets are so delicious that everyone likes it, including children, adults and old people. Paneer is an of...
Paneer CutletPaneer cutlet is the perfect snack for evening tea which is the easiest, healthy and tasty snack. Paneer cutlets are not only easy to make, but they are so delicious that no one can refuse to enjoy is...
Mushroom ManchurianMushroom Manchurian is a delicious dish that can be served appetizers. It is so delicious that no one denies the taste of mushroom Manchurian. Mushroom Manchurian is not only delicious, but also The D...