Matar Kulcha or chole Kulche is one of the most popular street food in North India, especially in Delhi and Amritsar. It is an ideal staple food, in this staple food, white peas are boiled and served with white flat bread, known as kulcha, which is made from baking fermented refined flour. You should try this great combination of delicious street food matar kulcha from Delhi. White peas are dried green peas that look like chickpeas but the size of white peas is smaller than chickpeas. It looks like chickpeas so some people are called staple food chole kulche. We are sharing delicious matar kulcha recipe, you can easily make matar kulcha at home by following this recipe.
- Preparation Time :
- 10 Minutes
- Cooking Time :
- 40 Minutes
- Meal Type :
Appetizers and Snack,
For Dough Starter
|Dry Yeast||1 Teaspoon||Water||1 Cup|
|Sugar||1 Tablespoon||Refined Flour||1 Cup|
For Kulcha Dough
|Refined Flour||1 Cup + Extra Depends on Starter To Make Soft Dough||Curd||1 Tablespoon|
|Salt||1/4 Teaspoon||Ghee||1 Tablespoon|
|Prepared Dough||Onion Seeds (Kalonji)||1 Teaspoon|
|Dry Fenugreek Leaves *Kasoori Methi)||1 Teaspoon||Ghee||1 Tablespoon|
For White Peas
|White Peas, Soaked Overnight||2 Cups||Bay Leaf||1|
|Turmeric Powder||1/2 Teaspoon||Water||As Required|
|Salt||As Per Taste||Tamarind + Dry Mango (Amchoor) Water||2 Tablespoon|
|Onion, Finely Chopped||1 Medium||Ginger, Finely Chopped||2 Inch|
|Green Chillies, Finely Chopped||2 - 3||Coriander Leaves, Chopped||4 Tablespoon|
|Tomatoes, Chopped||1 Medium||Roasted Cumin Powder||A Pinch|
|Degi Red Chilli Powder||A Pinch||Lemon Juice||As Per Taste|
Wash the white peas 2-3 times and soak in water overnight.
Take an extra large bowl, add dry yeast, water and refined flour and mix well. There should be no lumps in it. Cover it and keep it in a warm place for fermentation overnight.
Note: Bowl should be extra large otherwise upon fermentation the dough will come out of the bowl.
- The next morning, put refined flour, 1 tablespoon curd and 1/4 teaspoon salt in the fermentation dough starter and knead it to make a soft and loose dough.
- The dough should be so soft and loose that it becomes difficult to handle. Add 1 tablespoon ghee and kneed again. Cover it and keep it in a warm place for another fermentation.
- Next Morning, remove water from soaked white peas. After washing again 2 times, transfer the white peas to a deep pan, add a bay leaf, turmeric powder and desired water, cover it and let it cook for about 20 - 25 minutes or until soft.
- After the peas have softened, mash them slightly to get a thicker texture.
- Transfer them to a bowl and keep it aside to cool at room temperature.
- Once it is fermented, gently fold the dough to remove excess air from it. Divide the dough into 8 equal portions. Take a portion and roll it into an thick oval shape using a rolling pin.
- Sprinkle some onion seeds (kalonji) and some dry fenugreek leaves (kasoori methi) over it and press gently.
- Heat a flat bottom pan, once it is hot, an oval raw kulcha is placed on top of it, pour 1 tablespoon of water on the corner of the pan, cover the pan and cook for a minute in the steam.
- Flip it over to cook from the other side. Cook the kulcha about 80%.
- In this way make all the remaining kulchas.
Serving Matar Kulcha
- Take boiled white peas, add salt as per taste, tamarind and amchoor water, chopped onion, green chilli, ginger, coriander leaves and tomatoes and mix well.
- Take white pea mixture in a small bowl. Sprinkle some roasted cumin powder, blue red chili powder and garnish with onions, tomatoes and green chilies.
- Squeeze some lemon juice over it as per your taste.
- Heat a flat griddle, add a little ghee, cook the kulcha until golden brown and crisp on both sides. Cook all the kulchas in this way.
- Matar Kulcha or Chole Kulche is ready to be eaten. Enjoy hot kulche with matar.
To get the video for the recipe: CLICK HERE
- Share Recipe With Your Friend
- 5 : 14 : 03 : 02 : 01 : 0
Eggless OmeletteVegetarian omelette or eggless omelette is a delicious omelette and the best alternative of egg omelette. As the eggless omelette is named, it is does not use eggs and made from gram flour (besan) and...
Eggless OmeletteEggless omelette or vegetarian omelette is easy to make and a delicious vegetarian alternative to egg omelette, vegetarian omelette made with gram flour (besan) and refined flour (maida). Eggless is a...
Paneer CutletPaneer cutlet is the perfect snack for evening tea which is the easiest, healthy and tasty snack. Paneer cutlets are not only easy to make, but they are so delicious that no one can refuse to enjoy is...
Paneer Cutletpaneer cutlets are the amazing combination of easiest, delicious and healthy snacks. Paneer cutlets are so delicious that everyone likes it, including children, adults and old people. Paneer is an of...
Mushroom ManchurianMushroom Manchurian is a delicious dish that can be served appetizers. It is so delicious that no one denies the taste of mushroom Manchurian. Mushroom Manchurian is not only delicious, but also The D...