A crispy thin South Indian spicy dish made with rice and lentil batter has made its position in India. Masala Dosa consists of spicy potato and fragrant stuffing, called masala. A thin-rolled plain dosa filled with boiled mashed potatoes, onions and spices. This masala dosa recipe describes dosa batter (ready made instant dosa mix), potato masala stuffing to fill and cooking together in masala dosa. Masala Dosa can be best enjoyed when served with coconut white chutney and delicious sambar.
- Preparation Time :
- 25 Minutes
- Cooking Time :
- 35 Minutes
- Meal Type :
Appetizers and Snack,
|Dosa Mix||3 Cup||Potato||4 - 5 Medium|
|Onion||1 Large||Cumin Seed||1/2 Teaspoon|
|Gram Lentils (Channa Dal)||1 Teaspoon||Split Black Lentils (Urad Dal)||1/2 Teaspoon|
|Asafoetida (Hing)||A Pinch||Curry Leaves||8 - 10|
|Green Chilli Finely Chopped||1||Cashew Nut Chopped||2 Tablespoon|
|Turmeric Powder||A Pinch||Salt||As Per Taste|
|Coriander Leaves Finely Chopped||3 - 4 Tablespoon||Chaat Masala||1/2 Teaspoon|
|Ghee Or Oil||3 - 4 Tablespoon + For Greasing||Water||As Required|
- Put about 3 cups of water, potatoes in a pressure cooker and boil for 4 - 5 whistles or until the potatoes are soft. Allow the pressure cooker to automatically release the pressure.
- When all the pressure is released, open the pressure cooker lid. Peel and mash the potatoes well.
- Heat 2 tablespoons of ghee or oil in a pan on medium heat. When the ghee is sufficiently hot, add urad dal, chana dal, asafetida and cumin to it and mix well. Fry the lentils till they turn light brown. Add curry leaves, chopped green chillies and chopped cashews. Mix it well and fry for about 2 minutes.
- Add finely chopped onion and fry till onion becomes translucent. Add turmeric powder, chaat masala and salt and fry for a minute. Add 1/3 cup of water and let it cook on medium heat. When the water starts boiling add boiled mashed potatoes in it.
- Mix well and fry it for 4-5 minutes or until the mixture becomes thick as required. Stir occasionally to avoid burning from the base.
- Add finely chopped coriander and mix well. Turn off the heat Masala dosa stuffing is ready, keep it aside.
Cook Masala Dosa
- Add water to the dosa mixture and mix well to form a smooth batter as described on the packet. If you do not want to use the ready-made dosa mix and prefer to prepare batter at home, you can prepare the batter using the plain dosa recipe.
- Heat a non-stick tawa (griddle) on medium heat. When the tawa is medium hot, sprinkle some water over it and wipe it with a wet cloth. Spraying water prevents the dosa from sticking to the surface of the tawa. Pour 1/2 teaspoon of ghee over the non-stick tawa.
- Place the ladlefull batter in the center of the non-stick tawa, by rotating the leadle back over batter in the clockwise direction, spread the batter in a thin layer and make a circle of about 8 - 9 inches in diameter.
- Add 1 teaspoon of ghee on the edges. Cook it for about 2 minutes or until it is light brown. Add a little potato masala over it and spread it by pressing gently. Cook the dosa until the bottom surface turns golden brown and crispy. Gently fold the dosa from one side to cover the masala.
- Gently lift the dosa from the griddle and transfer to a plate. Similarly, cook all the remaining dosa.
- Delicious masala dosa is ready. Serve hot with sambar and coconut chutney.
- Share Recipe With Your Friend
- 5 : 14 : 03 : 02 : 01 : 0
Eggless OmeletteVegetarian omelette or eggless omelette is a delicious omelette and the best alternative of egg omelette. As the eggless omelette is named, it is does not use eggs and made from gram flour (besan) and...
Eggless OmeletteEggless omelette or vegetarian omelette is easy to make and a delicious vegetarian alternative to egg omelette, vegetarian omelette made with gram flour (besan) and refined flour (maida). Eggless is a...
Paneer Cutletpaneer cutlets are the amazing combination of easiest, delicious and healthy snacks. Paneer cutlets are so delicious that everyone likes it, including children, adults and old people. Paneer is an of...
Paneer CutletPaneer cutlet is the perfect snack for evening tea which is the easiest, healthy and tasty snack. Paneer cutlets are not only easy to make, but they are so delicious that no one can refuse to enjoy is...
Mushroom ManchurianMushroom Manchurian is a delicious dish that can be served appetizers. It is so delicious that no one denies the taste of mushroom Manchurian. Mushroom Manchurian is not only delicious, but also The D...