How To Make Masala Dosa At Home
Masala Dosa Recipe
A crispy thin South Indian spicy dish made with rice and lentil batter has made its position in India. Masala Dosa consists of spicy potato and fragrant stuffing, called masala. A thin-rolled plain dosa filled with boiled mashed potatoes, onions and spices. This masala dosa recipe describes dosa batter (ready made instant dosa mix), potato masala stuffing to fill and cooking together in masala dosa. Masala Dosa can be best enjoyed when served with coconut white chutney and delicious sambar.
Masala dosa is a thin and crispy crepe made from a batter of fermented rice and lentils, much popular South Indian dish . The dosa is usually filled with a spicy potato stuffing which is called masala and usually served with coconut chutney and sambar which is a lentil-based curry.
To make masala dosa, the batter is first prepared by soaking rice and lentils overnight and then grinding them into a smooth paste. The batter is then left to ferment for several hours or overnight to give it a tangy flavor.
To make the potato filling, boiled potatoes are mashed and seasoned with mustard seeds, cumin seeds, curry leaves, onions, and spices such as turmeric, coriander, and chili powder.
To make the dosa, a ladleful of the batter is spread thinly and evenly on a hot griddle or tawa, and cooked until crispy and golden brown. The potato filling is then placed in the center of the dosa, and the dosa is folded over to enclose the filling.
Masala dosa is a delicious and satisfying meal that is enjoyed by many people all over the world. It is a great option for breakfast, lunch or dinner and is often served in South Indian restaurants and food stalls.
- Preparation Time :
- 25 Minutes
- Cooking Time :
- 35 Minutes
- Meal Type :
Appetizers and Snack,
- 2 Reviews | 38 Likes
masala dosa Ingredients
|Dosa Mix||3 Cup||Potato||4 - 5 Medium|
|Onion||1 Large||Cumin Seed||1/2 Teaspoon|
|Gram Lentils (Channa Dal)||1 Teaspoon||Split Black Lentils (Urad Dal)||1/2 Teaspoon|
|Asafoetida (Hing)||A Pinch||Curry Leaves||8 - 10|
|Green Chilli Finely Chopped||1||Cashew Nut Chopped||2 Tablespoon|
|Turmeric Powder||A Pinch||Salt||As Per Taste|
|Coriander Leaves Finely Chopped||3 - 4 Tablespoon||Chaat Masala||1/2 Teaspoon|
|Ghee Or Oil||3 - 4 Tablespoon + For Greasing||Water||As Required|
Direction To Make
- Put about 3 cups of water, potatoes in a pressure cooker and boil for 4 - 5 whistles or until the potatoes are soft. Allow the pressure cooker to automatically release the pressure.
- When all the pressure is released, open the pressure cooker lid. Peel and mash the potatoes well.
- Heat 2 tablespoons of ghee or oil in a pan on medium heat. When the ghee is sufficiently hot, add urad dal, chana dal, asafetida and cumin to it and mix well. Fry the lentils till they turn light brown. Add curry leaves, chopped green chillies and chopped cashews. Mix it well and fry for about 2 minutes.
- Add finely chopped onion and fry till onion becomes translucent. Then add turmeric powder, chaat masala and salt and fry for a minute. Add 1/3 cup of water and let it cook on medium heat. When the water starts boiling add boiled mashed potatoes in it.
- Mix well and fry it for 4-5 minutes or until the mixture becomes thick as required. Stir occasionally to avoid burning from the base.
- Add finely chopped coriander and mix well. Turn off the heat Masala dosa stuffing is ready, keep it aside.
Cook Masala Dosa
- Add water to the dosa mixture and mix well to form a smooth batter as described on the packet. If you do not want to use the ready-made dosa mix and prefer to prepare batter at home, you can prepare the batter using the plain dosa recipe.
- Heat a non-stick tawa (griddle) on medium heat. When the tawa is medium hot, sprinkle some water over it and wipe it with a wet cloth. Spraying water prevents the dosa from sticking to the surface of the tawa. Pour 1/2 teaspoon of ghee over the non-stick tawa.
- Place the ladlefull batter in the center of the non-stick tawa, by rotating the leadle back over batter in the clockwise direction, spread the batter in a thin layer and make a circle of about 8 - 9 inches in diameter.
- Add 1 teaspoon of ghee on the edges. Cook it for about 2 minutes or until it is light brown. Add a little potato masala over it and spread it by pressing gently. Cook the dosa until the bottom surface turns golden brown and crispy. Gently fold the dosa from one side to cover the masala.
- Gently lift the dosa from the griddle and transfer to a plate. Similarly, cook all the remaining dosa.
- Delicious masala dosa is ready. Serve hot with sambar and coconut chutney.
To get the video for the recipe: CLICK HERE
- Share Recipe With Your Friend
- 5 : 24 : 03 : 02 : 01 : 0User ReviewsPawan Batra
Delicious masala dosaLeander Fernandes
Ragda PatticeRagda Pattice is a delicious and very popular street food in India, this street food is very popular in Gujarat and Maharashtra. Ragda Pattice is almost identical with another popular North Indian is...
Delicious Poha RecipePoha is a well known dish in India, in English poha is known as beaten or flattened rice. You can find flat dried rice flakes in the market easily in the name of poha. Poha is a tasty and quick made a...
Cheese Potato BallsA delicious ball-shaped snack, "Cheese Potato Balls" are made with potatoes, capsicum, cheese, bread crumbs and spices. Cheese Potato Balls are a delicious and easiest starter for your home party that...
Veg Seekh KababSeekh kebabs are generally known for a non-veg dish made with minced chicken or mutton and cooked in a tandoor. The vegetarian kebab is also a healthy and delicious dish. There are many varieties of a...
Masala Dosa With BatterMasala Dosa is a thin crispy South Indian spicy and healthy dish made with rice and lentil batter, which is now a favorite dish across India. Delicious Masala Dosa is filled with aromatic stuffing of...