How To Make Punjabi Chana Masala
Recipe of Punjabi Chana Masala in Restaurants Style
Chana masala is a delicious Punjabi dish made from chickpeas and is popular all over India. This spicy curry dish is made of white chickpeas (kabuli chana), onions, tomatoes and Indian spices, especially chana masala. This delicious curry dish is served with plain rice, bhature or chapatti for lunch or dinner. In this detailed recipe, the chickpeas have been boiled with tea powder and gooseberry (amla) to give it a special taste and color and special chana masala is used for a special flavor. Follow this detail recipe of punjabi chana masala and make this delicious dish at your home.
- Preparation Time :
- 8 Hour
- Cooking Time :
- 40 Minutes
- Meal Type :
- 1 Review | 38 Likes
chana masala Ingredients
|Chickpeas (Kabuli Chana)
|1 1/2 Cup
|7 - 8
|4 - 5
|Bay leaf (Tej patta)
|Dried Gooseberry (Amla)
|Tea Leaves or Tea Powder
|1/2 Teaspoon or As Per Taste
|Garlic Finely Chopped
|Ginger Finely Chopped
|Onions Finely Chopped
|2 Medium (1 Cup when chopped)
|Red Chilli Powder
|1 Teaspoon or As Per Taste
|Fresh Tomato (Puree)
|3 - 4 Medium (1 Cup after make puree)
|Fenugreek Leaves Powder (Kasoori Methi)
|Dry Mango Powder (Aamchoor)
|Ghee Or Oil
Direction To Make
- Soak the white chana (chickpeas) in water for about 8 hours or overnight.
- Take a muslin cloth to bind some spices. Add black cardamom, black pepper, green cardamom, cinnamon, cloves, bay leaves, dried gooseberries and tea powder to the cloth and tie to make a bundle.
- Take a pressure cooker and add spice bundle, soaked chana, baking soda, 3 cups of water and salt to it. Close the pressure cooker lid and boil the chana for 4 whistles. First Whistle at high heat and later at low heat.
While the chana is boiling, we prepare the masala for it.
- Put 2 tablespoons of ghee or oil in a frying pan and heat it on medium heat. Add carom seeds, chopped garlic, chopped ginger and chopped onion and stir well, fry it till the onion becomes light brown. Stir occasionally.
- Add turmeric, red chilli powder, coriander powder, cumin powder and chana masala and mix well. Fry it for a minute while stirring. Add fresh tomato puree and stir well. Add a pinch of salt, fenugreek leaves powder and aamchoor powder to it. Fry it till the masala thickens.
- Meanwhile, the chana are also boiled. Release the pressure and open the pressure cooker. Drain the water from the boiled chana and filter it through a sieve and keep the water for later use.
- Remove the bundle of cloth and add boiled chana to the masala in the frying pan. Fry it for 2-3 minutes while stirring continuously. During the stir, some chana are mashed and added to the spices which is good for taste.
- Add half the water from the reserved water. Cook the chana for about 15 minutes on a medium flame, stirring occasionally. If you like more gravy, or if you find the chana gravey thicker, you can add some more water to it as per your liking and cook for another 2 - 3 minutes.
- Chana masala is ready. Enjoy the dish with bhature, plain rice or chapati.
Green chilli pickle will enhance the taste of delicious dish.
To read the recipe in Hindi: CLICK HERE
- Share Recipe With Your Friend
- 5 : 14 : 03 : 02 : 01 : 0User ReviewsPawan Batra
Delicious chana masala
Dahi Bhalla (Dahi Vada)Dahi Bhalla or Dahi Vada is a delicious Indian street food especially in North India. The dish is so popular that it does not require any introduction and is so soft and delicious that no one will to...
Paneer Kathi RollPaneer Kathi Roll, also known as Paneer Frankie, is a healthy and yummy snack that can be made easily and is very popular in India. Recipe of paneer Kathi Roll or paneer frankie is very easy. To make...
Imli Ki Chutney |...Imli ki chutney or tamarind chutney also known as saunth is an Indian traditional sauce which is a tasty sour and sweet chutney made from tamarind, jaggery and spices. You can easily make this and it...
RotiRoti is a flat circular shape of un-fermented Indian bread, which is served daily throughout the Indian home as well as in hotels and restaurants. Roti can be eaten with any vegetable such as Paneer a...
PizzaPizza is a delicious Italian dish, usually consisting of a round and flat base made of whole wheat flour or refined flour, which is baked with mozzarella cheese, tomatoes and some other various such a...