Bharwa Karela is a healthy dry curry made from karela (bitter gourd). Bitter gourd has many health benefits such as it purifies the blood, is good for a diabetic patient, is beneficial in hemorrhoids and constipation, helpful in skin disorders. Karela is rich in minerals like vitamin B, vitamin C, iron and calcium, therefore bitter gourd has many health benefits. Bharwan Karela is a dry vegetable of bitter gourd made with only bitter gourd, onions, curd and spices. Bharwa Karela is a dry curry which is a delicious dish of Karela that is easy to make at home. By following this recipe, you can easily make this delicious and healthy karela dish at your home.
- Preparation Time :
- 4 Hour 20 Minutes
- Cooking Time :
- 40 Minutes
- Meal Type :
|Karela (Bitter Gourd)||500 Gram||Onions, Finely Chopped||4 - 5 Large|
|Red Chilli Powder||1 Teaspoon or As Per Taste||Turmeric Powder||1/2 Teaspoon|
|Coriander Powder||4 Tablespoon||Roasted Cumin Powder||1/4 Tablespoon|
|Fennel Seeds||1 Tablespoon||Salt||3 Tablespoon + 1/4 Teaspoon or As Per Taste|
|Ghee or Oil||To Deep Fry + 2 Tablespoon||Fresh Curd||3 Tablespoon|
- Peel the karela and discard the skin. Slit the bitter gourd length-wise but do not cut it into pices and remove all the pulp and seeds from inside.
- Apply salt inside and outside of karela and keep aside for 3-4 hours, this will remove all bitterness from karela.
- After 4 hours wash the karela 2-3 times so that the extra salt and its bitterness is removed.
- Squeeze the karela to remove excess water and keep it in a plate.
- Heat ghee or oil in a pan for deep frying on high heat. When the ghee becomes moderately hot, add karela and fry till it becomes light brown. Remove from ghee and keep it in a plate. You can fry them in 2 - 3 batches depending on the size of the pan.
- Let them cool slightly at room temperature.
- Meanwhile, prepare the stuffing.
- Grind the fennel seeds in a grinder and make a coarse powder.
- Put fennel powder, coriander pods, red chilli powder, roasted cumin powder, turmeric powder and a little salt in a bowl and mix well. Be careful about salt is karela is already salty even after washing.
- Stuffing is ready. Fill this spice stuffing well in the empty karela.
- Heat 2 tablespoons of ghee or oil in a pan on medium heat. When the ghee gets medium hot, add finely chopped onions and fry it till it becomes light brown while stirring continuously.
- Add curd and stuffed karela to it and mix well. Cover the pan and cook the karela until soft, while stirring occasionally otherwise the spices will burn from the bottom.
- Delicious karela is ready. Turn off the gas and transfer it to a serving bowl.
- Enjoy it with roti, chapati or paratha. You will demand more and more.
To get the video for the recipe: Click Here
- Share Recipe With Your Friend
- 5 : 14 : 03 : 02 : 01 : 0
Eggless OmeletteEggless omelette or vegetarian omelette is easy to make and a delicious vegetarian alternative to egg omelette, vegetarian omelette made with gram flour (besan) and refined flour (maida). Eggless is a...
Eggless OmeletteVegetarian omelette or eggless omelette is a delicious omelette and the best alternative of egg omelette. As the eggless omelette is named, it is does not use eggs and made from gram flour (besan) and...
Paneer Cutletpaneer cutlets are the amazing combination of easiest, delicious and healthy snacks. Paneer cutlets are so delicious that everyone likes it, including children, adults and old people. Paneer is an of...
Paneer CutletPaneer cutlet is the perfect snack for evening tea which is the easiest, healthy and tasty snack. Paneer cutlets are not only easy to make, but they are so delicious that no one can refuse to enjoy is...
Mushroom ManchurianMushroom Manchurian is a delicious dish that can be served appetizers. It is so delicious that no one denies the taste of mushroom Manchurian. Mushroom Manchurian is not only delicious, but also The D...